• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Do you practice any religions or faiths?

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
The wishy washy kind is the most prevalent.

People just do whatever they want M-S and then on Sunday play their Get Out of Jail Free card and then rinse repeat.

Some do whatever they want all year round and cash in at Christmas or Easter.

They also ironically tend to be the most judgmental type of person.

Don’t even get me started on Church Staff.
I say "wishy-washy" because apart from enjoying the hymns, it didn't really indoctrinate me much. I went through a brief 'angry at Christianity' phase at University, but it didn't take too long to realise that wasn't worth the bother. As Xenophon quoted, "no true atheist takes time to pause and curse God"

Sabbatius

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Where I come from is a hodge-podge of "Huh?"
My household was a practice of Christian Fundamentalism, Pentecostalism and Russian Orthodox. My Mother's family were Animists but also Fundamentalist Baptists on the Reservation I would live on part of the years growing up and was also raised with these practices. My Father converted to Christianity but would sneak me in to Shabbat Services on Friday Evenings and Saturday Mornings so I could get the "Family" blessing, however futile this was considering he married a Native American and converted to the Gentile faith, he was pretty much already cut off(I have since made headway in communicating with my Father's family since and my line is in decent standing.) All in all, with my back background I am an ex-Christian, Native American Animistic Jew.

Where I am now is still a hodge-podge of "Huh?"
Degreed in World Religions and amusingly a Ministerial Licentiate which I never use, my practices are heavily animistic and still very tribal. I am a Drum-keeper, so I am a drum handler for my Tribe. I am also a Firekeeper for the Medicine Society I am in. There was a time where I was involved in much of the "Left-Hand Path" as my primary source of spiritual function, Draconic and Luciferian but not in name but the current itself. There are a lot of crossovers within the Cosmology I am associated with and to this day, some of the LHP I still utilize. There is even some implementation of the Solomonic Arts that I have adapted into personal use as well, some from Demonolatry sources but again, adapted. I guess the best word for what I do is definitely an Eclectic Hodge-Podge.

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I was raised Christian but left. Looked into Buddhism but wasn't for me. I've tried being a pagan, a Heathen, and a Satanist.

I've learned from these religions, but I can't seem to fit in entirety with a single tradition. I'm a lot happier beimg a freelance occultist and doing my own thing in private.

What about the rest of you?
I like reading the gnostic texts via the Nag-Hamadi Lobrary, however I am about to start reading the gnostic Bible. I like it because it has elements of the worlds most ancient monotheistic religions but doesn’t limit you, for instence Sophia represents the 12 wisdoms, then there are Aeons, Archons, the demiurge the ineffable God and those inbetween. 🤷‍♂️

IllusiveOwl

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Sophia represents the 12 wisdoms, then there are Aeons, Archons, the demiurge the ineffable God and those inbetween. 🤷‍♂️
Personally the most fun part of Gnosticism is where the cosmology leaves you, the individual. Where in this cosmic schema do you find yourself? As the name implies, the ultimate Gnostic Bible isn't found in scripture, it's found through direct gnosis, from your observation and personal uncovering of your environment and discovery of Samsara 🦉

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Personally the most fun part of Gnosticism is where the cosmology leaves you, the individual. Where in this cosmic schema do you find yourself? As the name implies, the ultimate Gnostic Bible isn't found in scripture, it's found through direct gnosis, from your observation and personal uncovering of your environment and discovery of Samsara 🦉
Yeah the gnostic Bible is just a tool to get a better understanding, I’m not sure if it’s so much important weren’t am in the cosmic scheme, as far as I seek wisdom and understanding of the present, I.e… seek to understand your place in the present to better understand your place in the macrocosm.the way you effect others, your actions lthrough emoathy and control of emotions rather than letting your emotions control your mind, it gives you a better birdseye view and lets you act within the present rather react within time.

Woods1223

Visitor
Benefactor
Reaction score
I'm a heterodox Christian with gnostic tendencies- I've read all sorts of books from all sorts of religions, and consider myself a bit of a transcendental pluralist

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I'm a heterodox Christian with gnostic tendencies- I've read all sorts of books from all sorts of religions, and consider myself a bit of a transcendental pluralist
Transcendental Pluralism is a noble pursuit, I think of Gnosticism as incorporating Heterodox Christian views as they have elements of Zoroastrianism (the first monotheistic religion with an evil counterpart Ahura Mazda (good) and Angru Manu (sp?) (evil) as well as it surprisingly mentions the 12 Sophia’s or “wisdoms” which I find interesting as some theoretical physicists subscribe to there being 12 dimensions also you have the 12 tribes of Israel and the 12 apostles. Gnosticism is quite fascinating in terms of a religious pov.

Reaction score
Very glad to hear that, what are the material things that bring good energy to people / have good energy in them. That would be interesting to hear 😀

I came into this path cause i'm very local boy who spends a lot of time in his local village i was born in.... So it was the most genuine path to me. I involve a lot of time to the life of my village so working with the other folks here feels natural.

I try to work with more famous and larger deities but that didn't feel adapted to me.

I read Josephine McCarty's work about Land spirits and she supports the idea each place has its set of deities, intelligences and guardians any way.

I have a river, caves, grapewines, wheat fields, meadows.... So i have a place for different magickal intent and goals.

I remember "being invited" to a Samhain feast near the caves. The energy that day felt like a Midsummmer Shakespears style.

(Historically, Samhain was more feasting and partying anyway so)

When i call the elementals, i adapt to the landscape : air is called at the North cause meadows are there, water at the East cause this is where the river is....

Animism/Faery Faith isn't the most easiest path cause it asks for direct experience, building your own relationships, working your clairvoyance powers even more, being aware of feelings and signs...

Accipeveldare

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
The faith I practice is Theistic Satanism. As we all know most theistic satanists have varying beliefs but that doesn't make it any less of a religion.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I grew up Catholic, later became interested in paganism(briefly), but in the end I consider myself an atheist with spiritual beliefs not so different from shamanistic views.

Milton

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Mainstream religions often adhere to strict doctrines. While I appreciate the significance of traditional interpretations, it's important to recognize that we live in a modern context, distinct from ancient times. For instance, practices like blood sacrifice, which were once common, are thankfully much less prevalent today.

Personally, I find value in Judaism, particularly in its Kabbalistic teachings, even though I wasn't born into the faith. Christianity also offers meaningful insights.

I find the Gnostic perspectives on these religions to be particularly fascinating, as they seem to reveal deeper meanings that are often overlooked.

Every religion holds wisdom and truth, though these can sometimes be obscured by dogmatism and elitism.
Nonetheless, I believe that Abrahamic faiths deserve special recognition for their emphasis on connecting with higher spiritual forces, a quality that is less emphasized in some other belief systems.

I don't feel the need to adhere to any orthodox religious beliefs, as they can be quite limiting. Simply "believing" in something is the lowest level of metaphysical understanding.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I don't feel the need to adhere to any orthodox religious beliefs, as they can be quite limiting. Simply "believing" in something is the lowest level of metaphysical understanding.
As Peter Carroll put it:

Magic requires a belief system to work; but it doesn't matter what that belief system is.

The simplest belief system is to believe in your abilities as a magician.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
As Peter Carroll put it:

Magic requires a belief system to work; but it doesn't matter what that belief system is.

The simplest belief system is to believe in your abilities as a magician.
One might amend that to read "believe in the abilities that have at least sprouted." Around age seven I learned on the playground that watching Bruce Lee did not make me a kung fu adept.

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I treat religion like magick, take what is useful and leave the rest. Faith isn’t tangible so I believe in having faith in myself. I believe in a creator. But I also believe we are fractals of that creator. We all are in essence divine. Just my 2 cents for what it’s worth.

Fibulantis

Visitor
Reaction score
I was raised without religion and was very materialistic when I was younger. However as I have grown up I started developing a greater interest in them, specifically Gnosticism and Christianity as the teachings of Jesus rather than the dogma associated with the church. After dark times I was taught how to meditate and had a spiritual experience related to some of the Gnostic texts and ideas I had been interacting with. I've done my best to follow the way and understand the realm we truly belong to ever since. Especially fascinated by the parallel sayings and teachings of Jesus, Krishna, Buddha, and Lao Tzu. They all remind me of the core tenants of Gnostic belief.