• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Have you ever wanted to start a secret society?

Everyone's got one.

zerosum

Neophyte
Reaction score
Perhaps I was a bit quick to make assumptions, I may have a bit of a hair trigger with this topic due to experiencing some pretty extreme judgments based on these factors, and I will apologize for assuming anyone's positions without full knowledge.
but every society has rules, values, guidelines for membership. the entire point of a club is to be around people that share your views and interests. i wouldn't have gotten this reaction if i said "i don't want people to join who enjoy the writing of Ayn Rand." even though it's essentially the same thing. it wasn't even a major part of the whole original comment, just a quick blurb about how i would like to run my secret society. says a lot when someone picks out that little part to make a statement against.

Reaction score
The Hall in Covent Garden? I wrote most of my doctoral thesis in its very quiet, very clean library. Some of the rooms are beautiful and I once entered one with the CBCS regalia still up which felt like walking onto the set of a Templar miniseries.

Oddly, given my predilections, I have mulled over Freemasonry across the years. On three separate occasions, I have made contact with a lodge, been received at interview with great enthusiasm by the brothers, only for something utterly out of the blue to occur to halt my initiation (father suddenly dying, a global pandemic, etc.).

I have concluded that the Egregore is troubled by me and guards itself against my presence. Because of all the evil.

Wait, so you believe the egregire of Masonry killed your father and established a worldwide crisis just to keep out of a time honored rite if passage for men?

Lazarus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Wait, so you believe the egregire of Masonry killed your father and established a worldwide crisis just to keep out of a time honored rite if passage for men?
I don’t think that’s what he meant. Just pointing out that something always seemed to thwart his attempt to join. More of a timing thing? And he’s taking it as a possible sign.

@Wintruz
Truth is, it would probably be less about the Masons egregore and more something coming from you that’s keeping you from joining.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Exactly.

“We’re not excluding you because you’re an X, we think it’s great you’re an X. We just don’t think you’ll be comfortable in our all Y group.

Our bigotry is completely honorable and not malicious at all. We promise! Truthfully it’s out of consideration for you that we’re excluding you. Come to think of it, you really should be thanking us.”

Gee, where have we heard that before?

You’re justifying the very thing(s) you claim to oppose.
Sounds a lot like U.S. college campuses and their various "no whites" functions.

Wintruz

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I addressed this in a post shortly after the one you've gone all Cathy Newman on.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Perhaps I was a bit quick to make assumptions, I may have a bit of a hair trigger with this topic due to experiencing some pretty extreme judgments based on these factors, and I will apologize for assuming anyone's positions without full knowledge.
but every society has rules, values, guidelines for membership. the entire point of a club is to be around people that share your views and interests. i wouldn't have gotten this reaction if i said "i don't want people to join who enjoy the writing of Ayn Rand." even though it's essentially the same thing. it wasn't even a major part of the whole original comment, just a quick blurb about how i would like to run my secret society. says a lot when someone picks out that little part to make a statement against.
Yeah, I am called "extreme right" and would not let a Randroid so much as lace the jack-boot I was going kick his butt with. You had a point. Have one still.
Post automatically merged:

Exactly.

“We’re not excluding you because you’re an X, we think it’s great you’re an X. We just don’t think you’ll be comfortable in our all Y group.

Our bigotry is completely honorable and not malicious at all. We promise! Truthfully it’s out of consideration for you that we’re excluding you. Come to think of it, you really should be thanking us.”

Gee, where have we heard that before?

You’re justifying the very thing(s) you claim to oppose.
Take a gander at the Joy of Satan forum. (I'm not plugging it. I am not particularly welcome there for my views on creative eugenics. That and calling the clientele there LARP'ers.) In any case, aside from general forums, they have about 8-9 forums devoted to Satanists who are variously European, Turkish, Arab, Asian, Russian, black, and----"Oh gasp, those wicked men!"---white, English-speakers. One can jump around forums based on his interests/language abilities.

It seems to me that it's only folks on the Left who I've ever heard saying that admitting differences must lead to mass murder. Like the man said, "Before you shoot them, you do not have to ask questions about beliefs, just origins." The man was Lenin; the origins, class ones.

Xeno's Maxims 111: "' All men are the same'? A mensch which cannot discriminate among men cannot discriminate among his own impulses. He is as likely to kill on impulse as to befriend."

Last edited: