• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Have you ever wanted to start a secret society?

Everyone's got one.

Viktor

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I once had the idea of one with the sole purpose of the next evolution of man weather this would entail something grand like immortality or godhood or something more simple like enlightenment and realization this would be a group with no religious ties no LHP or RHP more like a grey line in the middle only based upon proven results not mythology or word of mouth
Your idea sounds fascinating!
Evolution of humankind in spiritual context is interesting topic, especially today in the age of disenchantment.

I've read in one book that disenchantment didn't bring anything good to humanity because it only brought new challenges which we're yet to overcome, one byproduct and also a proof is the birth of new types spiritualities indicating that humanity seeks spiritual life no matter how hard the opposite is pushed upon us.
Another obvious byproduct is growth of the non-institutional spirituality which we all witness these days, in other words humanity is missing the old ways which have been denigrated and taken from us.

In any case I don't believe modern way of life will ever be able to remove seeking immortal, immaterial and spiritual life just like it can't replace the same, these things are in human nature, whether initiated by spiritual realm or not.

Their effort is comparable to driving away the fog, no matter how hard they drive it away the fog stays and mutates like a living being.

Reaction score
Awards
I was just thinking about reinvention of the old groups as far as we can take them, piece together and start a secret society on corrected points in history. If that makes any sense.

Viktor

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I don't know, biggest obstacle is we would need resources and a lot of dedication for this.
Those secret societies in existence are pretty much advanced and rich, they spent centuries of hard work and it's questionable what they achieved.

Take a look for ex. at rosicrucianism:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

To only create a website similar to theirs it would take enormous work, investment and mostly skills.
Click on "Join our order" to see how much their membership costs.

Reaction score
Awards
AMORC is great, I've been following them and Rosicrucian for years. That was one of my initial reasons I started on this path and made a few uturns, but they really are a great group to follow.
SRIA was also recommended to me as well as Martinism.
Back on topic, it will always see a division coup trying to succeed (unnoticed), to try and keep the kingdom divided, how do we keep our secret society united?
It them depends on each individuals agreement to everything they're about.
It them demands introspection.
But I think new ones can be built up on the embers of old ones by just slightly changing course in some manner.

Viktor

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Back on topic, it will always see a division coup trying to succeed (unnoticed), to try and keep the kingdom divided, how do we keep our secret society united?
It them depends on each individuals agreement to everything they're about.
It them demands introspection.
But I think new ones can be built up on the embers of old ones by just slightly changing course in some manner.
This problem is well known in almost any kind of society.
Once a society grows big and powerful there begin tensions leading to collapse.

Freemasonry collapsed several times over once it grew, Roman empire collapsed once it grew, British empire collapsed once it grew, Russian empire collapsed once it grew, The catholic church also grew in power and collapsed etc. etc.

Basically every society which grows and gains power eventually collapses.

I don't know how secret societies or any other society of today maintains to keep together, but what ever they come up with a new society would have to rediscover those methods trough a collapse of course.

Another issue is having control on who get's in, there are countless real life examples of intrusions, today known as espionage and riots whose only purpose is to destabilize societies by rival societies.

While this are all problems of big societies, small ones are equally not immune.

If some society has a good leader, once that leader goes away, ex. by death, the society faces issues of ideology, if there is no leader there are competitions all the time.

This is good idea, there should always be ideological space left, because times and customs change and so do people.

TheLastFlame

Neophyte
Reaction score
One way of letting set people get in is to have layers the deeper you go the more information and resources u get kinda thing to see who lasts in the long run that could weed out people. A close circle of people for each layer researching and practicing diffrent things getting results.

Viktor

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
One way of letting set people get in is to have layers the deeper you go the more information and resources u get kinda thing to see who lasts in the long run that could weed out people. A close circle of people for each layer researching and practicing diffrent things getting results.
Indeed, that's how secret societies in fact work, there are degrees in both rosicrucianism and freemasonry and perhaps others.

This suggests that in existing societies lower degree members don't actually know the essential secrets of their group, which is useful to prevent joining for the sole purpose to harvest secrets just to reveal them to the outside world.
I suppose one is rigorously tested for each degree, and perhaps age limitation and education for each level and who knows what not.

TheLastFlame

Neophyte
Reaction score
Yeah that makes sense the age minimum would probably be around 18 so the mind is developed and there would be some discipline in place.

UnlikelySith

Neophyte
Reaction score
I have many times wondered how secret societies work and what is the secret that they hold,
this made me thinking about what it would take to start a brand new secret society,
one which would be either about occult or about domination or both.

If you would start a secret society, what would be the aim of your society?
What would be the secret about?
How would you attract new members and based on what criteria would you select members?
How should your society be organized, ex. should it be centralized or decentralized, online or real life?
Should there be a custom letter or similar to encrypt communication?
How much it would cost and how much effort it would take to maintain it?

This are all question you would likely face already in the beginning.
But do these questions distract you?, or would you try it anyway?

What are your thoughts? would you start a new society or would prefer to join existing one?
No, but I have fantasized about a secret society that would be able to mobilize something that looks like 1rst order of star wars, or a similar political order displayed in V for Vendetta, or Equilibrium.

A secret society that would mobilize troops to hunt down any dissent or perhaps just to cull the population. In this fantasy I imagined being an inquisitor, wearing a similar suit like Snake Eyes from G.I. Joe, cutting down people with samurai swords.

Lazarus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
If you would start a secret society, what would be the aim of your society?
Empowering and equipping members with the tools, knowledge, and support system necessary to take control and create the lives they desire for themselves. Beyond that, projects and initiatives to improve and strengthen the communities in which they live.

It would not be an esoteric order. It would be mostly secular with some philosophical components, but not spiritual or magical. It would also not be about domination. It would focus on balance.
What would be the secret about?
The body of knowledge itself (mentioned above). A set of virtues and qualities each member strives to incorporate into their lives.
It's important to note, that very little of the knowledge is a secret in the sense that it is some unknown thing kept from the rest of the world. Rather, it is several components culminated into a framework that is the secret.
Membership roster, organization structure, etc. would obviously be a secret. The groups existence itself..... more or less a secret.
How would you attract new members and based on what criteria would you select members?
Typically, there is a protocol where a candidate is proposed, reviewed, and voted on before ever making the candidate aware (what's the point of approaching the candidate if they're not approved?). If approved, the candidate would be approached and invited to join.
Although, there are plenty of exceptions allowing people to "find" the group in order to be considered.
How should your society be organized, ex. should it be centralized or decentralized, online or real life?
Founder appoints a high council to run the organization globally, but does not get to vote on matters. Membership is organized into chapters at local levels with district and regional representation. Regional directors make up the low council. Healthy dose of autonomy for chapters, but must still follow edicts and guidelines set forth by the council (It's basically a franchise).

Members follow a tiered progression (basically degrees). Each degree has requirements to be met before a member can progress. Most people prefer the benefit of real life interaction, however it's actually not required. Plenty of virtual stuff and "at-large" members, but attending a meeting in person is required at least 4 times a year if there is close proximity to an established chapter. Totally possible for introverts.
Should there be a custom letter or similar to encrypt communication?
Each degree provides a certain amount of "lore" and symbolism. That's as much as can be said about that here.
How much it would cost and how much effort it would take to maintain it?
$10 a month to be a member. Effort is up to each member. You get out what you put in, or in other words, your experience is what you make it. You could pay the dues, attend the meetings, and never progress if you wanted to. But, to be in good standing, you have to at least pay the dues.
This are all question you would likely face already in the beginning.
But do these questions distract you?, or would you try it anyway?
What are your thoughts? would you start a new society or would prefer to join existing one?
I would try it anyway. In fact, I have. If you have questions, DM me.

Reaction score
Awards
I will look into any and all secret societies. I would start one once I have my bearings in full and have worked through a few select grimoires.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I grew up on the Musketeers so yes i'd love to.
but we did have the Cherry Thieves
the good old days, we knew every tree and fruit with 5 point rating system of how good it was, for miles around.
nothing quite as sweet like stolen fruit.if you broke branches you were out, for many reasons but looking back im glad one of them
was bare minimum respect for the tree it self. those who got kicked for that one really did grew up to be pricks lol

yeah,yeah, it's not a cult. i'll draw an upside down cross next time :ROFLMAO:

In other news we did have the dreaded Black Rose, supposedly Devil worshippers one of their members (allegedly)
was being detained by army police, he had a tattoo of a date and on that day he somehow (?) got out got armed and
shot people in the barracks. i was never quite sold on it, though its the biggest event of that genre in the region.

A couple years ago there were rumors about a cult targeting young people there were a few deaths and the parents
reported unknown people appeared at service asking for pieces of jewelry from the deceased, spooky, but i believe that one more than the last

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
For my own amusement, I created a website for a non-existent secret society.
Oh that's fun, I'm tempted to do that now, as a sort of art project as much as a magical one

There's not a lot of point in a secret society when your practice isn't persecuted and society is atomised enough that it's very easy to keep part of your life private by just not telling people about it

And a secret society would be a lot of work - boring, logistical, organising work. Anyone who's tried to get the same 5 people together once a week for D&D knows this is actually a monumental challenge.

You need a strong motivation to do that work, and without the persecution, you don't have one (you need other people to play D&D, you can practise solo)

Okay, wait, I'm figuring something out...

So the solution when organising D&D or a multiperson podcast or whatever is to make it a limited run

"We are doing This Specific Adventure, which will be a self-contained story and will take 6 sessions" - people can commit to that because it's short term, and they're more motivated to commit because it's more purposeful and directed

So a secret society that would work well these days would be a big, one-off working that builds over several weeks.

This would also solve the problem of individual preferences. Everyone is so specific and idiosyncratic in their magic - i couldn't commit to a year of magic i was only partially aligned with. But i can compromise for 6 weeks.

Also: i don't really like keeping a part of my life that i care about secret. I want my friends to know who i am and what's important to me. But i don't have an issue keeping any one event secret (or multiday event over six weeks)

Reaction score
IMO, secret societies as itself has a potential to grow, become more ''secret'' and unique, depending on how intense our generation gets, the more they get extravagant. If i could build one myself, here what it would look like:

''If you would start a secret society, what would be the aim of your society?''** : Utopian Evolution
What would be the secret about?** : Becoming your Unique exceptional Godself through the darkest parts of yourself.
How would you attract new members and based on what criteria would you select members?** : The odd and fun practices and weirdly easy practices to achieving that, almost like a life ''cheat code'' . Very easy to do but incredibly hard to understand.
How should your society be organized, ex. should it be centralized or decentralized, online or real life?** : Centralized, the one who created the society. 2. Real life online and astral plane.
Should there be a custom letter or similar to encrypt communication? **: Definitely a custom language, maybe made out of psychedelic states, like Allyson Grey’s DMT letters.
How much it would cost and how much effort it would take to maintain it?** : Nothing, people would join out of pure will and from seeing the results from becoming this evolved type of person.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
that's actually huge. im stealing this.
My years of living with ADHD have made me very good at managing for the ways that other people are flaky, overestimate how long their initial enthusiasm will last, underestimate time costs, etc (ie managing myself)

How should your society be organized, ex. should it be centralized or decentralized, online or real life?** : Centralized, the one who created the society.
That's the problem, right?

Everyone wants a secret society but they want it based around their personal magical preferences. No one wants to join someone else's society, based around someone else's magical preferences

(I'm not criticising you @uncannyexplorations , you're one of the few people who actually answered the question. Makes me think i should take it seriously and answer properly myself)

The odd and fun practices and weirdly easy practices to achieving that, almost like a life ''cheat code'' .

Post them in Tutorials! I won't join your secret society, but I'm happy to learn!

A follow-up question:
Is there any magical practitioner from history whose secret society you would join, knowing you have to everything exactly according to that person's ideology, you can't cherry pick?

Reaction score
I would say John Dee, but it's too medieval, in our day and age, i would go with Lon milo, but that is a purely biased opinion, because ive read some of his books more than once. I don't know if he has his secret society besides the fact he's in the O.T.O, but still, he's just more open minded in general. I wouldn't say i would join his ''society'' but maybe take him as a life teacher.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I don't know if he has his secret society
For the sake of the question, I'm happy to pretend everyone has a secret society

Lon Milo definitely seems chill and very informed

For me... maybe Frater Acher if it was for a year, say. I think he's very very good, historically grounded but innovative, but his interests would be too narrow for me long term