• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

How can you bind spirits

Crows&Ravens

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Yes, good question. I suppose you'd find out pretty soon if it didn't work. On the other hand, if you don't know/feel/see then how can you even be sure there is a spirit hanging around
I would have to assume that the occupants are right or even wrong which would be a hard thing to do considering I wouldn't be able to tell if there was a haunting going on, alternatively I think it would be best to stick to banishing.

I don't plan to do anything until I have a reasonable plan that I'm at least certain would work which is the alternative option. But at least the opportunity would give me time to practice mediumship. I guess for no I should stick to diplomacy and secondly banishing, Ryen mentioned making contacts with spirits.

Crows&Ravens

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I read an article about those, and also about items sealed in the walls of houses such as shoes, dried cats and dogs and other items supposedly put there for protective purposes. I believe the witch bottles were used as a way to retaliate against suspected witches affecting members of the household - the victim's urine is sealed in the bottle and it is place under the hearth, hopefully to afflict the witch with UTI or something.

Yazata's cap and aluminum wrap suggestion makes sense, though you can also find stainless steel bottles with caps as well. I don't know what effect the inner lining of such bottles would have, if any. Maybe like padded walls in a cell? I find the arts and crafts side of this appealing and inspiring.
Yeah I would most definitely stick to what Yazata said, I just like to over do things.

Reaction score
Awards
Reading a Hoodoo Herbal book by Casas. Certain herbs or roots could bind spirits. I'm assuming more than just a poppet placed in each corner of the room would be necessary.

Crows&Ravens

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Ok...question

why do you need to trap them?

if it’s in your house then just banish them

if it’s somewhere else...I still wouldn’t do it, if they get out they will get pissed n go after you

perhaps it be better to offer them something so they are at peace...or just not bug them. Again idk the situation
Sorry I just read this.

Its not necessary at all to trap spirits, and come to think it. I don't need to but would have been good to know how to do so.

I'm looking to offer my services to help cleanse people from spirits that attached to them and/ or homes.

Reaction score
Awards
Let's start with a physical and metaphysical cleansing and ordering a tidy dwelling (inner courtyard) and self (temple).
Banish, annoint, and setup traps for incoming hostile spirits. Testament of Solomon might be helpful, as well as the Necronomicon and a Babylonian glossary/language dictionary. Sumerians and Babylonians knew this stuff before the Israelites in my opinion. Then crack open the Book of Psalms, and anoint the home with apostolic oil. Go to town with prayer.

Reaction score
Awards
Binding a spirit I do not know. The answer to such a question posed to my Golden Dawn teachers (Adepts and above) in the past was met with "Thats not a question for your current grade".

ryen

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I wish I could go into more detail than this but I have a bottle prepped in a specific way that works wonders for collecting spirits. Suggestion for those interested is to utilize magnets glued to the bottle in specific places and paint it solid black.

Now if you’re trying to collect the spirit to get it out of a space, coconuts work wonders. I have a post about cleansings that goes over how to do it: Coconut House Cleansing.

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Sorry I just read this.

Its not necessary at all to trap spirits, and come to think it. I don't need to but would have been good to know how to do so.

I'm looking to offer my services to help cleanse people from spirits that attached to them and/ or homes.
Oh I see, the on,y reason I ask is because from my recollection I’ve been told trapping spirits wasn’t looked well upon

if they escape they’ll likely be mad

Reaction score
Awards
If you have a seal of the spirit, place it inside a triangle and hold the tip of the sword to the seal. This should bind it.
Past that, not a clue.

Crows&Ravens

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Oh I see, the on,y reason I ask is because from my recollection I’ve been told trapping spirits wasn’t looked well upon

if they escape they’ll likely be mad
I would say it depends why you're trapping them, society technically traps humans in a prison if they do something bad.

I don't see trapping spirits anyhow different unless you plan to use them as slaves, and to me that's abuse of power and I would end up feeling like shit so in the end the only person who I've hurt is myself. That's my opinion though, for me that's how it is. I like the idea of working spirits more than banishing/trapping them.

In the end I don't think it would matter what I choose to do, whether its banishing or trapping. They're gonna be mad regardless.

ryen

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I would say it depends why you're trapping them, society technically traps humans in a prison if they do something bad.

I don't see trapping spirits anyhow different unless you plan to use them as slaves, and to me that's abuse of power and I would end up feeling like shit so in the end the only person who I've hurt is myself. That's my opinion though, for me that's how it is. I like the idea of working spirits more than banishing/trapping them.

In the end I don't think it would matter what I choose to do, whether its banishing or trapping. They're gonna be mad regardless.
A lot of what we do in Palo is based on collected spirits. Our spirit pots are designed specifically for this purpose. There’s two views on this subject that’s debated a lot within the community. Trapping/Enslavement vs Contractual Binding. I’m of the contractual camp.

Some spirits aren’t very bright, because they weren’t bright people when alive. And some of those spirits are willing to do just about anything given the proper payment for their efforts. Those who trap spirits tend to look for these kind. You can “enslave” them and they won’t really understand that they’re enslaved. So they blindly do your bidding. Problem with those kinds is that there’s a chance for backfire or even worse, they get collected by the Palero that you sent them to do work against. Many a times I have collected another Paleros else’s mistreated, not-so-bright spirits. Gave em a nice home where they’re cared for.

Now the way I prefer to do it is based on an agreement between both parties. If I feel a spirit at home, outside, someone’s house I’m cleansing, wherever, I’ll throw my chamalongos (divination tool made from coconut shells) and see if they’re up for a chat. I’ll start by asking who they are, why they’re still around and what they’re goal is. If they push back, I’ll essentially pray for their enlightenment and progress and walk away. If they’re interested I’ll collect their spirit and bring it home to integrate into an nganga (spirit pot), nkisi (wooden fetish), or matari (consecrated rock) using the proper rituals.

Hot take here, but I blame the keys of Solomon and most texts related to ceremonial/necromantic practices for at least westerners view on working with spirits. It’s almost always in the context of trapping or binding. Having demons and evil spirits do as you command kind of shit. Yeah maybe that works, but IMO it’s unnecessarily dangerous and not the best way to achieve results. It’s very temporary with a chance to blow up in your face.

Be kind to them, ask for their permission to house them, feed them well and you’ll have help for the rest of your life.

Crows&Ravens

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
A lot of what we do in Palo is based on collected spirits. Our spirit pots are designed specifically for this purpose. There’s two views on this subject that’s debated a lot within the community. Trapping/Enslavement vs Contractual Binding. I’m of the contractual camp.

Some spirits aren’t very bright, because they weren’t bright people when alive. And some of those spirits are willing to do just about anything given the proper payment for their efforts. Those who trap spirits tend to look for these kind. You can “enslave” them and they won’t really understand that they’re enslaved. So they blindly do your bidding. Problem with those kinds is that there’s a chance for backfire or even worse, they get collected by the Palero that you sent them to do work against. Many a times I have collected another Paleros else’s mistreated, not-so-bright spirits. Gave em a nice home where they’re cared for.

Now the way I prefer to do it is based on an agreement between both parties. If I feel a spirit at home, outside, someone’s house I’m cleansing, wherever, I’ll throw my chamalongos (divination tool made from coconut shells) and see if they’re up for a chat. I’ll start by asking who they are, why they’re still around and what they’re goal is. If they push back, I’ll essentially pray for their enlightenment and progress and walk away. If they’re interested I’ll collect their spirit and bring it home to integrate into an nganga (spirit pot), nkisi (wooden fetish), or matari (consecrated rock) using the proper rituals.

Hot take here, but I blame the keys of Solomon and most texts related to ceremonial/necromantic practices for at least westerners view on working with spirits. It’s almost always in the context of trapping or binding. Having demons and evil spirits do as you command kind of shit. Yeah maybe that works, but IMO it’s unnecessarily dangerous and not the best way to achieve results. It’s very temporary with a chance to blow up in your face.

Be kind to them, ask for their permission to house them, feed them well and you’ll have help for the rest of your life.
Chamalongos sounds very interesting.

Well, I can't wait to get started and hopefully it will be very soon.

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
If you come across a spirit, before jumping straight to “binding” (And I put that in quotes bc IMO, you get the best results by making a pact or contract with that spirit instead of trapping them. It opens the door for major backfiring later), go into dialog with them. Use whatever divination tool you prefer or use your mediumship abilities. If mediumship is something thats not a strong point for you, practice that before jumping into trying to force a spirit to do something against their will. They still have free will too.

Came here to basically say this. Well done!

Bandaboy

Apprentice
Reaction score
That almost sounds like possession, and in which it is. It sounds like I could trap them into my vessel of bones, blood and flesh I'd rather not allow an entity that could be potentially dangerous to live inside of my very being.
Your definitly right! This should only be done by someone who has the spiritual power to disarm, weaken and banish demonic spirits.

I know a few Christians who Jesus has given the ability to swallow demons and excrete them via breath, yawning, saliva, vomit and fecal matter.