• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Older Magic Systems

Reaction score
Awards
As many know me and have their conclusions set regarding me, it seems many want to throw their opinion in on how to do it. But without specifying which system.
Yes, there are many modern systems people swear by.
I personally know that there is time which must be used to master or at least he competent in one specific system.
This is not a post where I'm fishing for help, it just occurred to me that some systems are largely forgotten.
Perhaps just as well if there is no power in the magic system, then maybe we keep searching backward.
I'm not going to list types of systems, but geographical areas in which magic was used widely that I know of.
Egypt, phonecia, etc - middle/near east. Many systems, but largely Egyptian or Islamic
Africa - many systems here.
Europe - many systems, mainly hermetic
America's - a few forms of magic, folk magic big
Islanders/indigenous - smaller range of magic
Australia - a few systems I know of exist here.

The question is how many country systems of magic have power in them still, and if it is beginner friendly.
An example I can see is Egyptian magic, which could have power, but after Israel it's questionable. It seems to work best when allied with a particular god/dess.
It seems to be very big on visualization and acts. Though there are some verbal rites which are supposedly potent. I know of two systems that utilize Egyptian names in their magic, OTO and GD.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
how many country systems of magic have power in them still,
Magic systems mostly exist within the aura of some overlighting entity. Not all such entities are appropriate - many are out of their time and many have adverse intents concealed within them.

Nations typically have overlighting entities that propagate cultural and spiritual practices to help the nation cohere and carry out the intent of the overlighting entities. Sometimes an external entity captures a nation - as happened occasionally in the 20th century.

It is best to be cautious before immersing yourself within an entity that is difficult to comprehend

Reaction score
Awards
Good advice as always :)
I wondered mainly because I have a few old and new books on Egyptian magic.
Its funny though. It has a similar karma system like Israel, it's rival.

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
To finish my Grade of Magus I had released a book, have had 30 disciples and developed two own magical keys/systems, one traditional and one modern.

That was in 2000.

Reaction score
Awards
To finish my Grade of Magus I had released a book, have had 30 disciples and developed two own magical keys/systems, one traditional and one modern.

That was in 2000.
So what sort of current were you in?
Also as a student what should you do to find the right teacher for you?
Although I'm involved in mysticism now, I believe students should receive education and instruction on proper and practical use of magic

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
All depends on who you are. I can read very fast and have a photographic memory. So no club or teacher on the first years. But books without end. Later I had contact with almost everyone in the scene. Like Nema from the Toto.

Reaction score
Awards
Well, if others want to think I'm a larper, well fine, they can believe what they choose to believe.
I have done magic as a solitary for most of my life.
I've had small successes, but nothing life changing (in a good way).
I'm a Neophyte/Zelator in Christopher's book. Kaballah Magic and the Great Work of Self Transformation is on hold right now to check the path I'm on currently. I have not dropped it, all my plans are on hold.
I want to be a solid magician, and I'm not getting any younger, heart disease runs 8n my family, so the sooner the better. I'd live to be somewhat satisfied with my life before I'm dead.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I think the beginning of a magick course should start with know thyself. Second course would be know the land you live on and its beings. Then 3th course would be to combine the 2. If thats possible everywhere? It should be.

Ow and 4th course is of course moving to an other area and start a new way of integration, not self-destruct and go to an other realm. Thats only when death calls.

hungry_ghost

Internet Forum NPC
Reaction score
Awards
As many know me and have their conclusions set regarding me, it seems many want to throw their opinion in on how to do it. But without specifying which system.
Yes, there are many modern systems people swear by.
I personally know that there is time which must be used to master or at least he competent in one specific system.
This is not a post where I'm fishing for help, it just occurred to me that some systems are largely forgotten.
Perhaps just as well if there is no power in the magic system, then maybe we keep searching backward.
I'm not going to list types of systems, but geographical areas in which magic was used widely that I know of.
Egypt, phonecia, etc - middle/near east. Many systems, but largely Egyptian or Islamic
Africa - many systems here.
Europe - many systems, mainly hermetic
America's - a few forms of magic, folk magic big
Islanders/indigenous - smaller range of magic
Australia - a few systems I know of exist here.

The question is how many country systems of magic have power in them still, and if it is beginner friendly.
An example I can see is Egyptian magic, which could have power, but after Israel it's questionable. It seems to work best when allied with a particular god/dess.
It seems to be very big on visualization and acts. Though there are some verbal rites which are supposedly potent. I know of two systems that utilize Egyptian names in their magic, OTO and GD.
I take people more seriously when they stick with a particular system because they make it potent. So to answer your question it's more like finding what works for you. You make the system potent, it's not the other way around. I mean that's why some people swear by the Simon Necronomicon. 😂

Sage

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Also nothing is really beginner friendly. You have to learn the basics - meditation, visualization, etc. Then you can try and tackle a system after you do an assload of research.
This is exactly what I'm doing with Taoism/Daoism.
I'm learning from those that claim to know, while also trying to gather my own insights and develop my own understanding of it.

Slow and steady, in order to properly absorband understand.Research, experiment, research, training, research...

I do have to admit though that, while not a practitioner(yet), I enjoy also learning about the indigenous/shamanic system as well as the use of symbols(letters, gestures, glyphs...) in order to "make magic" from different cultures(this is probably due to my interest towards sigils).

Reaction score
Awards
I'm just following three books and trying to work on only one, the other two side reading. Eventually I would like to work on three books principles and exercises, "Initiation Into Hermetics", "Kybalion", and Magical Greek Papyri.

Reaction score
Awards
If my magical role 8s strictly that of an observer and catalyst for others, then I guess I should, sit, watch and listen..and take copious notes.
Otherwise, keep on keeping on, not expecting results.

Jk666

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
If my magical role 8s strictly that of an observer and catalyst for others, then I guess I should, sit, watch and listen..and take copious notes.
Otherwise, keep on keeping on, not expecting results.
U should definitely only work for results even if they’re only internal: results give u purpose & help u to continue

Reaction score
Awards
Hermetics seems simple to me,.if I can ever see how a great instructor of the past explained how she saw the seven Hermetic laws and which tarot keys correspond