• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] So..you've downloaded the library.

Everyone's got one.
Reaction score
Awards
How many people here, I wonder, get involved in discussions after downloading the entire WF Library Book Shares.
Slim and few are my guesses.
Sure, we have a lot of active members and not everyone reads the same books.
Still, it would be cool if we had decent book club discussions for people who have read or are currently reading the same books. :)

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Over the years I read a lot of esoteric books. These days I prefer direct experience

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
How many people here, I wonder, get involved in discussions after downloading the entire WF Library Book Shares.
Slim and few are my guesses.
Sure, we have a lot of active members and not everyone reads the same books.
Still, it would be cool if we had decent book club discussions for people who have read or are currently reading the same books. :)
I haven't downloaded the Library and I haven't read that many books. It's pretty obvious that some people only download pdf's because they're free and then maybe scroll through it once before being in desperate need of another new book on the same topic.
Bookclubs or discussion groups (in my opinion) can be a nice thing if everybody works through / reads the book over roughly the same time period. It seems hard to get any group thing going overall though unless it's a free giveaway where one only needs to say "I'm in!"

Challis

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Maybe we can start one? Book by book.

Just post about the book you're reading for open discussion 🙂
Youu'll find out who is interested/who's reading what, soon enough.

I for one are more likely to reread a book for more details rather than go to another book, so I might not have a lot to offer.

A small (subjective) downside would potentially be, people skipping the books altogether and reading the discussion instead. This could lead to more misinformation.

Reaction score
Awards
Post automatically merged:

Emperor Time

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
I thought most of it is only for members of: Custodian, Librarian, Adeptus, Archivist, Benefactor?

Reaction score
Awards
Well, since I'm currently working through both, I thought I'd create a thread for each.
There are side reading 0rojects which are less GDish, such as Rosemary Clark's "Sacred Magic of Ancient Egypt", Becks "Nothing Special: Everyday Zen", Match and MvEvets "Onlu Eau to Learn Astrology ", etc.

I have overly religious parents on FB, so I try to keep esoteric to a minimum on there.

March and McEvers "Only Way to Learn Astrology"

Reaction score
Awards
Alright, will create a post on it shortly and delve into the first couple chapters for material discussion.

Done.

Seventeen chapters and an appendix. Reading the first forty-five (four chapters) pages today. We can discuss tomorrow.

Last edited:

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
some people only download pdf's because they're free and then maybe scroll through it once
this. when i first started hoarding i came across an article on piracy
and the author was talking about how a most of them simply download and never look at them again,
but in a sneering sort of way
due to that little tidbit i made sure to give every pdf a good whack.

the book club thing is as done as it can be,
might be more effective if we had some polls or options in advance-
so you would know there is like opening for book discussion x coming up.
i dunno, something about the idea needs some work and it's not all in the
technical aspects of the site.

(love the new pfp vandy, best one yet)

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Well, as it stands right now, for those here who pay attention to the subforum section, it plainly shows which ones are being discussed.
that is what i meant by the problem not being strictly
"mod do this problem solved"
there obviously is a subsection, but if you saw today an open thread
you either know the book from before and try to hop onto what you remember,
or you don't know it and do nothing, ya know?

something is lacking. some sort of involvement i clarified that i don't really know either,
just that it needs tweaking

Tiana Silvermoon

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
As others said, to have a working book club you need a group of people reading the same books on somewhat same pace and willing to share what they think about them. As there are a lot of people doing (and being into) different things and a lot of very different books, it's hard. I personally wouldn't volunteer for club since I read slowly, usually a few books at once, and often I just don't really know what to say. But I could write a couple of reviews once I'm through with some books I got here.

Reaction score
Awards
Well, then it seems neutral territory is one like the Astrology one created, because most like astrology or could stand to learn it.
Others into demons or grimoire evocation Im not likely to attempt for a good while yet.
Others into angels and angelic grinoires wont likely go over with team demon folks.
So yeah, it really all depends on what people are studying.

Challis

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
If we grow, it'll be more likely to have a few people reading the same book, but that may not happen.

Another possibility is that we do it forum style, and people can reply even 3 months or so later. I do like that about the site, that it is timeless (as are we ;) ).

Idk what the rules are. If a post is rather old I won't reply, even though I love the idea of replying across time & new people revisiting older forums!