• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] What are your diets/diet guidelines for weight loss?

Someone's asking for help!

Jk666

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Forget about diets, think about changing your lifestyle.
Because diets are "short bursts" you do to lose a lot of weight at once, but this isn't healthy at the long run and it might not work as well as you think.

It is common for many to get back the weight they lost after a diet.
Your focus should be on changing your lifestyle, something more slow and controled, but that will endure the rest of your life.

I did so by starting IF(intermittent fasting) 2 years ago.I did not exercise(much) but through IF alone(and drinking the appropriate amount of water for my body weight) I lost +or- 10kg.
And since this is part of my lifestyle, I've learned to not overindulge with food, just eat what is necessary to feel moderately satiated but not full.

Recently I started to focus on developing calisthenics skills and doing more functional training in order to firstly, develop a healthy body that will last my whole life, and secondly, develop the type of physique I want.

So yeah, you have to change your lifestyle in order to have it work for you.
Just remember, not everyone can or should do IF, always check with a doctor if you're able to do it, specially if you take medicine.
I agree with this: diets backfire

just starting the intermittent fasting & it looks promising

Reaction score
Awards
Years of sedantry lifestyle has made me quite the chonker, I'm afraid to admit.

I don't eat a lot, but when I do it it's to make me feel better, so a lot of comfort food, and junk food. Even when I cook for myself I use a lot of oil and butter and shit. Tastes too good.

I used to run, but these days it's too hot, so I've started indoor rowing, which I supplement with some weight training. Nothing crazy, just enough to stay somewhat fit and capable.

But diet really is the key to weight loss, so I'd appreciate any diet tips, inspiration, meal prep plans etc.
I find what works for me ( I also live a comfortable, lazy lifestyle.) Is to cut down on calories from sugar obviously, and white breads and rice and other carbs.
Weight loss really comes down to doing more activities and consuming less calories.

I have evoked sartmulu a mars spirit from Konstantinos book summoning spirits for help with the willpower required. I've also employed President Marbas for assistance with shape shifting to a lighter form

My results however have been at best marginal

Girlinthefields

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I always stick with the most natural diet as possible. By diet I dont mean restricting, rather more selecting what's better for your health. Sugar and white (commercially produced) breads are a very rare occassion for me . I do make homemade breads though...
On top of that, I am a great fan of teas, especially green one which also is good for you and apparently weight loss.

I pretty much eat exactly what I feel like, just keeping it within the rule of no pre-packaged products (no ready made meals, I mean) and set up meals as a mix of protein/carbo and especial fibre from veg and pulses. Mediterranean dishes (italian, greek, Lebanon...) are good examples of the right balance.

I love cooking which makes any food regime easier cause homemade is always better.
Last but not least, I actully eat all the time lol but very small quantities. It works better for my stomache.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Currently doing OMAD, One Meal a Day. Intermittent fasting in this way is reportedly beneficial for removing "junk" proteins that gradually build up in cells. If one doesn't want to "suffer" a bit of hunger on a daily basis without purpose, offer it as a sacrifice to a spirit in a ritual for a set period of time. After a week, those midday hunger pains faded as my body adjusted. For me, OMAD isn't about weight loss, since I am fairly slim already. I simply eat more than I used to in one late afternoon meal. Periods of hunger stimulate the body to produce Human Growth Hormone (HGH).

Girlinthefields

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Currently doing OMAD, One Meal a Day. Intermittent fasting in this way is reportedly beneficial for removing "junk" proteins that gradually build up in cells. If one doesn't want to "suffer" a bit of hunger on a daily basis without purpose, offer it as a sacrifice to a spirit in a ritual for a set period of time. After a week, those midday hunger pains faded as my body adjusted. For me, OMAD isn't about weight loss, since I am fairly slim already. I simply eat more than I used to in one late afternoon meal. Periods of hunger stimulate the body to produce Human Growth Hormone (HGH).
I did look into it for quite a bit. It is also recommended for people suffering some serious illnesses and reportedly has amazing affects. Even though, apparently, in this case its closer to 36 hrs fasting.
We did 12 or 16 hrs only with my husband a year ago for a week or two just to kick start clean up as his sugar levels went through the roof after having covid and it definitely did the trick.

LostYeoman

Neophyte
Reaction score
Intermittent fasting, sex at least once a day (minimum of 30 minutes), punching and kicking drills (pads) and at least one 2 mile walk a day.

Diet wise: bowl of fruit for breakfast or eggs; white meats with salad combinations for lunch; white meats with quinoa or mixed vegetables for dinner. Turmeric supplements also aid metabolism.

Dre_87

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Just to keep it simple, I would say that you can probably just eat a diet of mostly like kale salads and chicken, steak, and fish, and maybe some fruit..and for the workout I'd say that you can even if you have even only 80lbs of weights and some rubber resistance bands, you can just do like a 2-set workout, full body, with like medium sized weights, for like about an hour for like 4-5 days per week, and all of that should I think actually be enough, I would also advise people to take up some sort of like shadowboxing or kickboxing types of drills and exercises too as well, then you can also do running, swimming, hiking, and cycling and stuff like that too and I think that you should be good.

Reaction score
Awards

I don't eat a lot, but when I do it it's to make me feel better, so a lot of comfort food, and junk food. Even when I cook for myself I use a lot of oil and butter and shit. Tastes too good.

I used to run, but these days it's too hot, so I've started indoor rowing, which I supplement with some weight training. Nothing crazy, just enough to stay somewhat fit and capable.

But diet really is the key to weight loss, so I'd appreciate any diet tips, inspiration, meal prep plans etc.
In my Martial Arts class, we had a Action Hero Challenge.
The challenge? Get fit, have and develop a plan for social or environmental action.
The latter part I failed on, but the former went like this:
Six days anaerobic exercise, 30% cardio twice in the week. One day off. Drink a gallon of water afterward. No rest between exercises.
Exercises:
Jumping Jacks
Hands over Head Squats
Down Ups
One Legged Deadlifts
Pushups
Lunges
Deck Squats with Jump
Mountain Climbers
Crunches
Burpees

Diet:
No white stuff - no dairy, sugar, salt, white potatoes. Exception: Cauliflower.
No yellow stuff - no corn products, no tropical fruit. Exception: Sweet potatoes
Whole grains, steel cut oats
Salads
Lean meats
Fruit as snacks sparingly
Nuts, seeds

Happyfeet

Neophyte
Reaction score
Back when I was a flatbed truck driver I started off at just under 400 pounds. As of this morning I weigh 312. I lost a ton of weight really fast but it took several years for the flab to go away. I looked like a deflated balloon. Just look at Penn Jillette after he lost all that weight to get an idea.

What made it impossible to keep the weight on was a pure keto diet combined with the strenuous workouts involved with my job and no matter how much I ate I couldn't keep the pounds on. Seriously, I started eating sticks of butter, ate tons of bacon, would eat steaks and fish with my veggies, snacking all the time but absolutely no cheating with sugar or carbs once I was into ketosis. I began to feel great all the time, tons of energy, never hungry, but when I was hungry I almost felt like I was battery operated and slowing down near the end of my charge. After eating some butter or something equally calorie heavy I'd perk back up. No sugar crashes, just a slowing down. I got to a point of averaging a weight loss of about 5 pounds a month.

It required dedication and it was really hard to sometimes even find keto food when away from home because the American diet is so trash. It also made me feel like shit for almost a month until I fell well into ketosis, your body needs time to get used to the lack of sugar. But you do get massive results. After the weight loss came a much more healthy appetite and it was much easier to keep the weight off because I had learned to discipline myself before.

Art Thurian

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I believe exercising is the best method to lose weight. The equation is pretty simply: it is about what you gain in (calories) and how you burn them (calories).

Aether

Visitor
Reaction score

As someone who is physically fit, I can help a bit. Diet is key, no junk food no fat gain. If you can't control your diet as well as me, then exercise. As soon as you wake up, eat 30 grams of protein and do steady state cardio for 30m-1hr. This burnt a lot of fat in me when I was trying to lose weight. But the key thing was my diet. Strength exercises can help get you shredded as well, like even if you just start with calisthenics.
200.gif

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
In my mind, it's absolutely vital to give up beer. Beer was what drove my weight gain in the past, not just because it contains a lot of calories but because the alcohol makes you lose control over how much you eat. And that's where the social dimension of dieting comes in - say you decide to give up beer but still go regularly down to the pub to meet your mates. While they have one pint after the other, you nurse your glass of mineral water the whole night, making you the odd man out. Or you're accustomed to spend your evenings with your partner watching TV, and all of a sudden it's the gym three times a week and your more sedentiary partner suddenly feels lonely and abandoned, which may lead to relationship problems. It's not just diets and calorie tables, it's also lifestyle changes that may not be very pleasant.

My overweight niece regularly meets her friends for a pizza pig-out. What would happen if she just had a salad on those nights? It would make her a kind of party pooper, to say nothing of her desparate inner struggle against her own carb cravings while everybody is having a good time.

I lost a lot of weight as a result of a serious illness during which I was bedridden most of the time. Nice to get rid of those belly fat rolls but I lost so much muscle mass, I was unable to even open a soda bottle. It's what happens when you go on an extreme diet - first you lose fluids and muscle mass and only then fat, which is why weight traning is so important when dieting. And forget the concept of exercising to 'burn calories'. You'll replenish those 'burned calories' after exercising anyway, otherwise you'll starve, simple as that.

After another illness during I lost yet another 15 pounds, food just isn't that important to me now; it no longer offers consolation and comfort - but that came as a result of all those life experiences, not of ambitious resolutions or insights. No beer, no sweet stuff, much less meat than before, daily walks, and now my doc is almost ecstatics about my blood work results.
Post automatically merged:

Magically speaking, I wouldn't shoot for "more willpower" because this way you set yourself up for a fierce struggle between temptation and good resolution IMHO. It's way better to arrive in a state where you view your favourite calorie-dense snack with indifference or mild incomprehension ("How can people eat that stuff?"). As to how to get there... there isn't an angel or demon for that, I suppose. My preliminary insight is that I need to acquire more water element (I have a lot of earth) in order to become more fluid and let ingrained bad habits simply wash away... still working on it.

Exercise requires a different approach from eating, I think. What I would recommend is joining a sports club or school instead of gym, mostly because of the social thing - you meet new people, compete with them (hopefully in a friendly, relaxed manner), you have fixed days and times where you acquire new skills, not just muscle. You can watch competitions in that sport live, on TV or on the internet, and all in all it can be much more interesting that wandering from machine to machine in the gym. Martial arts are great because of the grading examinations where you can earn a higher belt, which can be an additional incentive to stick to athleticism, and over time, you ever so slowly get caught up in your new sport that it's almost impossible to quit. No magic required if you're open to new experiences.

Last edited: