• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

What's after death?

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
What do you believe happens after death?

Rebirth on Earth as a new human?
Rebirth on Earth as a different species?
Rebirth on a different plane/dimension?
Continuing on in a different plane/dimension? Like heaven or hell...
Continuing on in a parallel universe where you never died... on and on forever till you're the last person alive?
Something, but something inexplicable...?
Nothing?

Let me know your thoughts...

Mart

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
There's a lot of talk about rebirth in many different traditions around the world. I personally have a feeling that's at the very least partially true and that most if not all of us have lived past lives. One thing I am absolutely certain of is that it's not the judeo-christian version of "heaven and hell" which many people get indoctrinated into believing :p

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
There's a lot of talk about rebirth in many different traditions around the world. I personally have a feeling that's at the very least partially true and that most if not all of us have lived past lives. One thing I am absolutely certain of is that it's not the judeo-christian version of "heaven and hell" which many people get indoctrinated into believing :p
Kinda along this general train of thought myself. There seems to be evidence out there for a lot of different routes, like reincarnation, becoming a ghost, an afterlife of some sort. Only possibility I'm not too inclined to believe is that you simply cease to exist. I've seen enough shit to make that seem much less plausible.

Callie

Neophyte
Reaction score
I honestly don't know. I've never had an experience to suggest that was an afterlife, but intellectually I've come to believe that there is. I think we make an artificial distinction between "this" life and the "next" one and probably it's all interconnected in ways we can't see.

Do you think that magicians have a different afterlife than everyone else? Perhaps more power over what happens?

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
Do you think that magicians have a different afterlife than everyone else? Perhaps more power over what happens?
Honestly that's what I wonder, myself. Theoretically I don't see why not, but of course not much for me to point to as definite proof. I also wonder if it's not just magicians, but naturally psychic people in general who could have some degree of control.

Callie

Neophyte
Reaction score
Honestly that's what I wonder, myself. Theoretically I don't see why not, but of course not much for me to point to as definite proof. I also wonder if it's not just magicians, but naturally psychic people in general who could have some degree of control.
I would think that spending your life exploring the boundaries between this world and the other world would yield some level of power over your fate. It would be pretty disappointing if it did not.

Nana

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards

Rebirth on Earth as a new human?
Rebirth on Earth as a different species?
Rebirth on a different plane/dimension?
Continuing on in a different plane/dimension? Like heaven or hell...
Continuing on in a parallel universe where you never died... on and on forever till you're the last person alive?
Something, but something inexplicable...?
Nothing?

Everything I've seen supports the perspectives encapsulated in Vodou. That is, it depends on your soul's purpose for being and our individual actions while that soul is incarnate.
Eschatologically speaking the individual, as we understand it, is less of a discreet entity and more of a moment when multiple lines of force and fate conspire briefly to advance their individual agendas then go their separate ways. If that moment(our individual lives) is particularly notable it may add a particular resonance to the forces from that moment forward, merge two or more of the forces, subsume one or more of the forces, end one or more of those forces, or create a new force altogether.
There are no simple answers to this question.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I would think that spending your life exploring the boundaries between this world and the other world would yield some level of power over your fate. It would be pretty disappointing if it did not.
Yeah you know what? I think there is some merit to the idea that one's chosen path in life would result in a specific afterlife for oneself.

There are no simple answers to this question.
Very true.

YiSaga

Neophyte
Reaction score
The whole point of families to be buried together by religion and I think it clumps them in astral tomb. I've made fun of the Holocausts a lot and I feel like my death is going to be like a dinner show for Successful Rabbis who died in camps. They'll surround me and ask me how I like it like a twisted version of it's a wonderful life, during my last gasps of air. That's why I laugh, cuz they laugh back.
It depends on how one experiences in life for their outcome of path. It's almost like the individual has to be complete in certain ways to have a smooth existence. I think what happens is if someone Dies "incomplete" they might be prone to "decompose", while alive, normal people die inside before knowing what a lantern is.

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I agree, in fact that is the path I am following at the moment. I subscribe more to the school of thought of self salvation. There is the beaten trail of the judeochristian tradition but there is also a path that leads to true self actualization after death.

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Indoctrinated how?

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I think indoctrinated as in simply that's the only thing many people are raised to believe, if they're in a super Christian household. And depending on how judgmental people are, the only idea that they approve of you having.
There is a lot of truth to that, I was raised to believe in the Judeo-Christian hell/heaven afterlife, but I'm also aware the main reason I believe that is from my environment and not from self-searching to confirm or deny it.

ryen

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards

Rebirth on Earth as a new human?Rebirth on Earth as a different species?Rebirth on a different plane/dimension?Continuing on in a different plane/dimension? Like heaven or hell...Continuing on in a parallel universe where you never died... on and on forever till you're the last person alive?Something, but something inexplicable...?Nothing?

It could be that a lot of those possibilities are simultaneously true. Not claiming this as absolute, just how I've personally felt/seen it to be.
  • If you don't reach your goal but weren't necessarily a bad person, rebirth as human and try again.
  • If you were a really good person, maybe ascend to guide or some sort of higher level "position". I think practitioners of magic who helped humanity also fall into this category. It's not uncommon to see spirits/deities etc that held a status as magician.
  • If you die in tragedy/shame/unexpectedly, the weight of your soul or whatever exact mechanic there is prohibits you from entering a possible rebirth or ascension, turning you into a wandering spirit.
  • If you were a really nasty person, you "descend" to a "demon" type of entity which may be cool and all depending on your views, but I think there's a gimmick. It requires you to feed constantly to sustain that. And maybe, just maybe, that shit ain't easy or fun.
Again, this is not definite of course. My own observations over time and after lots of certain personal experiences and reading, etc.

Mart

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Right but do you reject the entire concept of heaven and hell or just certain aspects of it in mainstream Christianity?
Honestly? I just don't know. None of us really do, and I don't like to assume too much, unless I have a strong intuition about something.
Actually I have a problem with religions in general (especially christianity) and am obviously going to reject their dogmas. So that's my bias I guess.

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Honestly? I just don't know. None of us really do, and I don't like to assume too much, unless I have a strong intuition about something.
Actually I have a problem with religions in general (especially christianity) and am obviously going to reject their dogmas. So that's my bias I guess.
This might be a dumb question but have you never inquired to spirits about life after death? I’m more on the side that every person experiences the same universal truth after death whether that be reincarnation, hell/heaven, etc but like you said who knows really.