• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Whats your stance on fate?

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
The title is clear enough, but let me expand? Do you believe in a fate, and what kind? Do you believe in free will, karma, astrology? Do you think stars and planets effect us?

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Stance on fate: I stand upright and face it head on.

Being part of a group/gestalt means that I have to share in its process. There is no point in complaining

These days I am more careful about choosing groups

Ancient

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I do not believe in fate, or destiny. Free will, yes. As for karma, I believe in it, but not in the way commonly encountered in western thought. Karma is action, and a karmic trace is what is usually labeled as karma. To put it simply, an action or reaction (karma) creates a karmic trace, which then brings to it similar karma (actions or reactions) when similar circumstances are encountered or created. It’s a little like that mathematics probability problem wherein Person A and B both play the lottery twice. Person A wins. When calculating the probability of either A or B winning the second time, A is statistically more likely to win.

I think stars and planets undoubtedly affect us, at least while we are within their sphere of influence. One need look no further than the moon for evidence of this. However, I am not yet convinced that astrology is accurate enough to be worthwhile. I have much more to learn on the subject.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
By some accounts there is both good and bad karma, and for the human to achieve first stage enlightenment it is necessary to resolve both forms.

Adverse karmic energy can often be seen on the left side of the human as an arc of grey to black energy. When there is a lot of karma it covers the whole body.

Adverse karma seems to cause pain the body of the planetary logos and that pain creates a pressure for the karma to be resolved. With group karma, resolution can generally be through some of many members of the group. This flexibility may allow the karma to be moved away from a particular group member.

Personal karma is hard to divert as there is usually no alternate line of least resistance.

When the lessons of the adverse karma are learned the karmic energy can remain for quite a while, during which time application can be made to the Lords of Karma for its removal. So far as I have seen, they are quite cooperative

I have only limited observations of the outworking of good karma. The best I can say is that sometimes you have to let the world help you - even if you are quite competent to deal with the situation.

I am not yet convinced that astrology is accurate enough to be worthwhile.

Quite so, but it is relatively easy to see the status of energy lines from particular planets to the Earth and to Earth humans. Thus personal observation may be superior to ancient traditions - particularly as we move intt to the sign of Aquarius.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I'm a believer, conditionally.

Fate is when you hold the girl of your dreams in your arms and think how all this was meant to be, but she is thinking with her Free Will in the back of her mind: "OMG, how do I get rid of this creep?"
The Universe could be deterministic or it could all be pure chance - both seem paradoxical to me. The only constant I can think of is change, which gives rise to every possibility coming into being.

Karma is when you stub your toe against a nightstand in the dark and yell "GODFUCKINGDAMMIT!!!" Hissing against the pain, you realize you should have turned the light on (and maybe the tree that went into making the nightstand really did not want to be cut down). Echoing in the darkness of times past is some Zen sage saying, "Whenever you suffer evil, then remember all the evil you have done over an infinity of incarnations." Basically, don't complain. After a billion cycles of existence, muddy water clears up on its own. Or it doesn't.

Sneaking in the vicinity of Karma is that less comfortable concept of Sin, which is a smug serial killer sitting in a courtroom who committed such horrible acts that even atheists hope there is a hell, cause hanging is too good for him. What makes it worse (and unfair!) is this murdering asshole has hot ass groupies outside holding signs saying he is innocent and they want to marry him. There is also a sad forensic psychiatrist giving an interview saying the accused had a bad childhood and needs special care. Resentment, guilt, shame and revenge all tangled up into a moral order that keeps generating more Karma.

Astrology for me is best typified by the old saying "The stars influence, but do not compel." So everything in the Universe is in this interdependent tension and I have a little toolbox of symbols by which to perhaps calculate what could be mirrors of my soul. I still can't answer how twins born at the same time with the same horoscope can go on two different path - one a king, one a beggar. Maybe a minute's separation makes a difference. I can try do magic by drawing on these influences, maybe changing my "fate" or making my karma better or worse, but at least I am having some fun fumbling in the dark with guarded toes.

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
It’s complicated

in Kabbalah we are born under our respective star sign and subject to the astrological influences but we can work to maneuver around their effects. And there is karma that must be worked out in the afterlife and reincarnations but that can also be negated in what is referred as repentance. Repentance being more complex then just saying sorry.

So is there a 100 sure destiny? Kinda but not really, in Kabbalah there is what’s called the messianic age yet there’s still a chance humans can ruin it I suppose. Of course people will still make it....but how many?

Reaction score
Awards
A Guide for the Perplexed or some title like that had a discourse that stars and planets do .. and were made to .. exert influence over rue human, but the Holy One,.Blessed be He, can override it whenever he chooses.
Stars I believe so, as Malrakian Myste - someone I knew in the past online - had mapped out nebulas, clusters and other groups of stars to mid evil drawings of goetia.
In my Christian faith, fate I don't know, as there is the idea popular among Baptists, Once Saved Always Saved, vs Calvinist ideas that man does indeed have fate, and im sure that there was an area of a scripture to support the claim as there was a large following of Calvinist teaching.
My thoughts on it.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Didnt believe it, tried to get rid of it by banging my head against anything i could find, had kadir(islamic spirit of destiny) visit me twice, same with ancestors and i was still not going to be it. Seems im it, whether i believe it or not.
Conclusion:
You dont have to believe in fate to walk it.

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
(There is a hidden joke in the above sentence)

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Uhuh and then follow a guru, ya think?!?!
Karma is not fate as stated above. One can dance in the rain of karma, but fate is your soul, spirit and dna combined.

Of course a soul can switch bodies, but to me its home sweet home in bodily form. I got the sweetest most sexy loveable body there is, so yes thats fate and everyone has it.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Ugh if you have to tell, its not a real good joke now is it?

Btw youre in a lets get hit mood? Or what...

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
in Kabbalah there is what’s called the messianic age yet there’s still a chance humans can ruin it I suppose
Please, tell us of Sabbatai Zevi!

@stalkinghyena: you know those groupies are all males hiding as women right?
Keeping Holy Inclusion in mind, I think there are situations where people's "free will" compulsively tempts Fate.
Some of them do look kind of butch:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

People believe in karma. Then they try to fight karma. Where is karma? Where is fate? In your head! Get rid of it!
An aghori rooting in the cremation ashes once whispered to me:

"MAN AGAINST NATURE
MAN AGAINST MAN
MAN AGAINST MACHINE
MAN AGAINST HIMSELF."

If this is not a Hermetic Axiom, then perhaps it should be.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
if you take fate, the word itself as it is now tumbling around everyones head and understand that for nonnative english speakers it sounds the same as faith things turn totally different and there becomes a path, a door, a way.....

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards

Keeping Holy Inclusion in mind, I think there are situations where people's "free will" compulsively tempts Fate.

"MAN AGAINST NATURE
MAN AGAINST MAN
MAN AGAINST MACHINE
MAN AGAINST HIMSELF."

Go and add it to the Continuum then! ;)

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards

"MAN AGAINST NATURE
MAN AGAINST MAN
MAN AGAINST MACHINE
MAN AGAINST HIMSELF."

Zevi was a popular figure claiming to be messiah, I think he still has a following even now of Jews who eat pork as they think once messiah comes The Jews commandments are done.

Anyway he went around saying he was the messiah until he started saying he was to overthrow the Sultan at the time. The Sultan had him arrested then brought to his court where he was given 3 choices, convert to Islam, be inhaled, or have archers shoot at him, if they all missed he must be divine

Supposedly Rabbi Yehuda Fatiya said Zevi’s spirit was forced to wonder the earth and be reincarnated several times, he was finally able to enter Eden after the Rabbi helped him

Jackson

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I believe in fate, though not strictly. I don't believe in free will, though I have an associate who does.