• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Why the LHP is considered "evil"?

heavysm

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I will say one thing as an active practitioner who greatly works with all magick paradigms, and even demon, angelic - angelic and all others else...qliphothic currents, and paths (which is considered darker, and more dangerous than most might know...) that I have to consider myself a pure left hand path, active and practicing and never stopping magician and sorcerer, because...this is my entire life.

If you know what you're doing, there is no limits, and ethics only vaguely come up when others, question or might second guess what you might be striving for. I am a very focused, and constant ritual sorcery magician, and I know darn well that it just takes a lot of focus, time - and energy to get all rituals, and spirits working together to get our goals, and thoughts and - life alignments, perfectly straightened out and fine. But that takes a whole lot of effort, and that is almost...aside from the main point. Magick just takes a lot of mental strength, and work in general.

As an author of the occult, and very deeply devout practitioner of all paradigms of magick, I have to say that evil and wickedness does exist, and cursing and baneful magick helps to deal with those types of enemies, and other people, who just need to leave us alone, for now.

The left hand path is simply about embracing your personal power, and I cannot see it as purely anything negative bad, considering how much focus and power I have found...from self meditating and finding myself, on this very curious spiritual life path that brings no limits, and maybe...I have to work with lot of curious, and implied darker spirits, and other god forms along the way.

In my eyes, proper left hand path magick is self evolving and does not have easy limits or even problems that can directly - destroy our live path and general vision. It was supposed to be about people who know how to be creative and deal with life, and it...I think became about too much ethical concerns, and trying to accidentally say, that some magick is more evil than others. I do all of my sorcery openly, and have nothing to hide.

This is a very empowering life magick path, and honestly, I would not have it any other way.

Djnenas

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Reading a bit about the LHP I started to question myself about why is it considered "evil" to want to go the solo/deification of the self path rather than into the communion with "the universe".I get it when people say that it is selfish(they're right in a way, but also not quite), but how come thinking about your own interests and yourself is selfish?

Doesn't everyone else thinks about their own survival, their own lives, their own destinies?Doesn't everyone else worries first about themselves only to then worry about those around them?Doesn't everyone else thinks more about "I" rather than "We"?
I get people calling this path evil when all they see about it are talks of demons and devils and of dark entities, as no matter if atheist or from another religion we all end up somewhat influeced a bit by the Christian view of reality specially when it comes to the spiritual side of life.

But why this vilification of seeking power for yourself, even more so when you don't care nor intend to "sacrifice" others for it?You're just thinking of yourself because at the end of the day the one thinking most about yourself will be yourself.As your own perspective is linked to your own existence, not to the existence of others.Becoming your own master should never be considered something shameful, yet since the focus is on the "I" rathen than "Them" it seems that society treats such as the same as someone that commited a crime against society itself.

Humans might be social creatures but as someone said once, we all die alone.
I don't consider myself Right or Left... I'm more of a Middle Path... and like another member said, the "evil" stamp over the LHP has more to do with religious bias. Let's not forget that in order to in order to keep their grip tight around the masses' heads, anything that was not cleared by the church as good"
Post automatically merged:

I don't consider myself Right or Left... I'm more of a Middle Path... and like another member said, the "evil" stamp over the LHP has more to do with religious bias. Let's not forget that in order to in order to keep their grip tight around the masses' heads, anything that was not cleared by the church as good"
Reading a bit about the LHP I started to question myself about why is it considered "evil" to want to go the solo/deification of the self path rather than into the communion with "the universe".I get it when people say that it is selfish(they're right in a way, but also not quite), but how come thinking about your own interests and yourself is selfish?

Doesn't everyone else thinks about their own survival, their own lives, their own destinies?Doesn't everyone else worries first about themselves only to then worry about those around them?Doesn't everyone else thinks more about "I" rather than "We"?
I get people calling this path evil when all they see about it are talks of demons and devils and of dark entities, as no matter if atheist or from another religion we all end up somewhat influeced a bit by the Christian view of reality specially when it comes to the spiritual side of life.

But why this vilification of seeking power for yourself, even more so when you don't care nor intend to "sacrifice" others for it?You're just thinking of yourself because at the end of the day the one thinking most about yourself will be yourself.As your own perspective is linked to your own existence, not to the existence of others.Becoming your own master should never be considered something shameful, yet since the focus is on the "I" rathen than "Them" it seems that society treats such as the same as someone that commited a crime against society itself.

Humans might be social creatures but as someone said once, we all die alone.
I don't consider myself Right or Left... I'm more of a Middle Path... and like another member said, the "evil" stamp over the LHP has more to do with religious bias. Let's not forget that in order to keep their grip tight around the masses' heads, anything that was not cleared by the church as "good" and "godly approved", was to be destroyed, burnt, ignored, etc... their grip was so strong that it still remains strong as ever today, some millenia later. It is sad that so much religious brainwash still goes on today... causing so much pain and suffering in the name of a God so far removed from his creation. May humanity wake up one day to never again be enslaved.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awards
A false dichotomy that doesn’t actually exist.

At least not in the way the wannabe edge lords and wannabe I-wouldn’t-hurt-a-flys try to frame it as such.

Both of the above wannabe groups frame it that way because they want to think of themselves as all “evil” or all “good” respectively. When really they just don’t want to face themselves as they truly are.

-Eld

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
The left hand path is simply about embracing your personal power,

"from Latin persona ‘actor's mask, character in a play’...."

Does a human have a higher power too?

In my understanding in this solar system there are limits placed on personal power - particularly inability to control the Neshama

There is however a dark path that is not about personal power. It deals with the externalization of universes

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
There are Satanist groups--- the regrettably-named Joy of Satan comes to mind---that try to mold their members so as to weed out the immature wannabe badasses. The group's "Spiritual Warfare Training Manual" is a tool toward this end.

Wintruz

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Reading a bit about the LHP I started to question myself about why is it considered "evil" to want to go the solo/deification of the self path rather than into the communion with "the universe".I get it when people say that it is selfish(they're right in a way, but also not quite), but how come thinking about your own interests and yourself is selfish?...

Becoming your own master should never be considered something shameful, yet since the focus is on the "I" rathen than "Them" it seems that society treats such as the same as someone that commited a crime against society itself.
It's because the Left Hand Path has the potential to undermine the authority of society.

Contrary to what occultniks with an energy-sapping persecution complex may believe, very few people actively care about what an individual believes in their own imagination. Granted, there are a small number of vocal people who will want you to "get right with God" but the secularised majority, and certainly the architects of society, do not care what you believe or don't believe as long as you accept (or at least feign acceptance of) the consensus "reality" and its rules, often enshrined in law or social customs. At the moment, in the West, I'd say that is less about religion and more about being a good consumer (of gigabytes as well as products) who makes the right noises on certain social issues.

A mature LHP initiate will tell you that the social order has served an evolutionary purpose and it has its place. They will also tell you that disregarding it isn't something to be undertaken lightly; think hard before stepping off the RHP.

The Left Hand Path proper (not the use of the Devil's imagery while still calling for social conformity - there's a lot of this around) enshrines the individual. If this is coupled with high intelligence it can pose a problem for the social order because the LHP initiate will declare that they are the final ethical arbiter ("I am my own god") and may question from where society gets the authority to dictate behaviour ("there is no God"). This could lead to perceptions of truth and, most importantly, actions which violate some part of the social order. A good illustration of this would be the recent historical position of homosexuality; society proscribed a kind of behaviour which some individuals felt drawn towards because they saw it as a reflection of their essence (a very LHP idea). Some brave individuals would break away from their social programming to act on their desires, risking social condemnation, many others wouldn't.

The Western LHP encourages the individual to know themselves and to act on that knowledge. In the majority (but not all) of the LHP initiates that I've known, this has led to behaviour which is more virtuous than society requires (after all, when you're your own god, you are answerable to yourself) but from the perspective of the social order, it's a risk they would rather not take. They like to be in charge.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
It's because the Left Hand Path has the potential to undermine the authority of society.
Makes sense.
When religions and royalty used their perceived power to gain control over others, to have someone question that control and even go against it would put them in a dangerous spot as then they would lose power over people with time.

The Western LHP encourages the individual to know themselves and to act on that knowledge
That feels valid to me.The more you know about yourself the more power you have over yourself and the more you can do as an individual.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
But is it better to be the “supreme” individual if you are completely disconnected from the source?
I think it would depend if this source is actually the source of it all(like the Big Bang) and is known as such, or if it is a source.Because if it is a source then who's to say that you yourself can't be a source too?

In the end I think that everything comes from the same "base" and we all carry it withing ourselves so technically speaking it wouldn't matter to disconnect since that base is still part of ourselves, even if we aren't connected to each other through it.

The best analogy I can make is water: one becomes ice, one evaporates and one still maintains it's original state.
It's all water but they have different properties and purposes.They all come from the same, but just because they became something else it doesn't mean that they lost their original base, which is "being water".

I don't know if this makes sense or if it sounds too much like the mad ramblings of a person, but I blame this on the lack of sleep for more than a week now.

Reaction score
Awards
Perhaps a better question may be why the LHP is considered Good and worthy for all?
As my old teacher of black magic once told me, there is regularly a Machevellian type set of hierarchies that regularly war with each other for the sport of it.
Including you.
Are you a warrior? Do you live to die over and over and over again? Is this good and worthy?
Do you look forward to brutal treatment by the demons and qlippothic sets of entities?
Or would you rather look forward to Mercy, peace, love, and kindness; where the only way will be the final war sealing shut hell, and ushering in the age of peace on a new Earth?
Not being a fundamentalist, but why, besides being a badass and getting an easy temporal life here on this disintegrating planet, is it considered Good and Worthy?

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards

Contrary to what occultniks with an energy-sapping persecution complex may believe, very few people actively care about what an individual believes in their own imagination. Granted, there are a small number of vocal people who will want you to "get right with God" but the secularised majority, and certainly the architects of society, do not care what you believe or don't believe as long as you accept (or at least feign acceptance of) the consensus "reality" and its rules, often enshrined in law or social customs. At the moment, in the West, I'd say that is less about religion and more about being a good consumer (of gigabytes as well as products) who makes the right noises on certain social issues.

A mature LHP initiate will tell you that the social order has served an evolutionary purpose and it has its place. They will also tell you that disregarding it isn't something to be undertaken lightly; think hard before stepping off the RHP.

The Left Hand Path proper (not the use of the Devil's imagery while still calling for social conformity - there's a lot of this around) enshrines the individual. If this is coupled with high intelligence it can pose a problem for the social order because the LHP initiate will declare that they are the final ethical arbiter ("I am my own god") and may question from where society gets the authority to dictate behaviour ("there is no God"). This could lead to perceptions of truth and, most importantly, actions which violate some part of the social order. A good illustration of this would be the recent historical position of homosexuality; society proscribed a kind of behaviour which some individuals felt drawn towards because they saw it as a reflection of their essence (a very LHP idea). Some brave individuals would break away from their social programming to act on their desires, risking social condemnation, many others wouldn't.

The Western LHP encourages the individual to know themselves and to act on that knowledge. In the majority (but not all) of the LHP initiates that I've known, this has led to behaviour which is more virtuous than society requires (after all, when you're your own god, you are answerable to yourself) but from the perspective of the social order, it's a risk they would rather not take. They like to be in charge.
Well said. I got smacked down in a Satanist forum for ragging on them as being rather too staid and conventionally virtuous. (I wan't talking sex but political dissidence.)

Reaction score
Awards
For some, it's a matter of the Magick Order you belong to. Some are extremely anti "evil", some to a lesser degree. Some still view Tarot and Qabalah as not evil. I am, tbh, a little conflicted.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
It's a bit ironic that the first half of the Bible is all about needing animal sacrifices to placate an angry God, and the second half of the Bible is about a human sacrifice placating a 'loving God.' There was a time when I wondered if the blood sacrifices to YHVH were what caused him to act like an angry demon at times. Lately, the more I distance myself from the Bible, the better I feel all around.
I've come to a more nuanced understanding of the Bible since I started reading René Girard. From Wikipedia:

"Girard's main contribution to philosophy, and in turn to other disciplines, was in the psychology of desire. Girard claimed that human desire functions imitatively, or mimetically, rather than arising as the spontaneous byproduct of human individuality, as much of theoretical psychology had assumed."​
There is an incredible amount of knowledge I have yet to unpack, so I'll attempt brevity. I am angry at modern Western "Christian" society because of its hypocrisy. I grew up in a southern state in the USA which at the time had "blue laws" prohibiting the sale of many items on Sunday. In fact, most stores used to be closed on Sunday. But we were told that our government was founded upon a separation of Church and State. Hypocrites! What if I did not believe Sunday to be sacred? Would that mean that local police would use the threat of arrest to enforce what are the majority religious beliefs of the region? Of course, we're all aware on some level of the history of the Christendom enforcing belief upon pain of death, and there's a lot of death in the Bible, too, even for things like gathering firewood on the Sabbath. (Not all scripture is inspired of God.)

Is it any wonder that so many people who see the hypocrisy rebel against something that feels so wrong? I can empathize with young people who go to the other extreme in rejecting society's symbols of respectability because the symbols are hollow shells, or as Jesus put it, 'whitewashed graves that look all nice on the outside but are full of corruption on the inside.' That metalhead kid with the long hair is being more honest than his parents; he lives in a time and place where he can express himself since heresy isn't currently a crime, but as often is the case, when people oppose models they hate, they throw out the good with the bad.

René Girard pointed out that the Bible is unique among works of ancient literature in that God took the side of the weak and downtrodden, in other words, those who were victims of power. To illustrate, we have to look at the Scapegoat mechanism and how it shaped human views on conformity. If you lived in a village 4000 years ago, the pressure to conform would have been immense, and anyone falling out of line would have been seen by the others as "possessed" by evil. To restore peace in the village, the priest or shaman would have used the tension to convince everyone that the "village idiot" needed to be stoned to death or thrown into the volcano. Strange as it may seem, communal killing worked to create catharsis, and it became the basis of human sacrifice in primitive religion. Yet in the Bible, human sacrifice was roundly condemned in some parts (sadly the legacy of human sacrifice took a long time to purge) such that substitutes were introduced. The point was to maintain social cohesion without creating innocent victims for the sake of catharsis for the rest of the villagers and the tribe in general.

Thus the blame of an "angry god" should be shifted to human spiritual evolution. There are parts of the Bible which seem "more inspired of God" than others. God is trying to wake us up to the need for forgiveness, but we have an older and more primal need for mimicry that leads us into conflict with each other. The conflict between LHP and RHP can be explained by the triangle of desire, since "deity" is the object of both. Remember, Cain killed Abel because they both wanted God's love, but Cain couldn't stand the thought of being loved less. It occurs to me that Western "Christian" Civilization has a LOT in common with Cain. Neither Moses nor Jesus would have approved of it. We have the spiritual tools to go beyond enforced conformity for the sake of social cohesion, but we resist this advancement and still insist on looking for scapegoats to punish in order to attain societal catharsis. It would be healthier, spiritually speaking, for the RHP to avoid making comparisons with LHP lest they take on characteristics which they claim to oppose. LHP would certainly benefit by asking what they are rebelling against and what might be the model for their desires.

mimetic-desire.jpg

Reaction score
Awards
I will say one thing as an active practitioner who greatly works with all magick paradigms, and even demon, angelic - angelic and all others else...qliphothic currents, and paths (which is considered darker, and more dangerous than most might know...) that I have to consider myself a pure left hand path, active and practicing and never stopping magician and sorcerer, because...this is my entire life.
So what makes the angelic side or the RHP to be considered Good? Do you see no difference in attitudes and behavior between the two sides?
This is perhaps a dilemma by historic outlooks on other cultures, true, but many of the great were either devout Jews or devout Christians, in particular two of my favorites .. Barrett and Agrippa.
If you know what you're doing, there is no limits, and ethics only vaguely come up when others, question or might second guess what you might be striving for. I am a very focused, and constant ritual sorcery magician, and I know darn well that it just takes a lot of focus, time - and energy to get all rituals, and spirits working together to get our goals, and thoughts and - life alignments, perfectly straightened out and fine. But that takes a whole lot of effort, and that is almost...aside from the main point. Magick just takes a lot of mental strength, and work in general.
But the problem is many of the nice sides of the demons is that you've already been ensnared, either due to edgy or non edgy alike wet behind the ears practitioners with a book like Demons of Magick. We covet by nature, and while it's a great book, the powers are what we want to and do covet. We don't or rarely see the bad side of our chosen entities ... Teasers, if you will.
As an author of the occult, and very deeply devout practitioner of all paradigms of magick, I have to say that evil and wickedness does exist, and cursing and baneful magick helps to deal with those types of enemies, and other people, who just need to leave us alone, for now.
I cursed someone recently with a partner and the target was hit by a car. What do you think I would do as a good little Christian? The target is still a child of God, but overstepped several bounds.
I confessed to my Pastor about it. Enter spiritual warfare verses via Ephesians.
The left hand path is simply about embracing your personal power, and I cannot see it as purely anything negative bad, considering how much focus and power I have found...from self meditating and finding myself, on this very curious spiritual life path that brings no limits, and maybe...I have to work with lot of curious, and implied darker spirits, and other god forms along the way.
Again, JCI are not the only religions on the planet. Certainly many indigenous cultures exist and worship dark and light entities, and perform imitative, contagion, and sympathetic magic techniques just as we "civilized" people do, even good ol religious folk do.
In my eyes, proper left hand path magick is self evolving and does not have easy limits or even problems that can directly - destroy our live path and general vision. It was supposed to be about people who know how to be creative and deal with life, and it...I think became about too much ethical concerns, and trying to accidentally say, that some magick is more evil than others. I do all of my sorcery openly, and have nothing to hide.

This is a very empowering life magick path, and honestly, I would not have it any other way.
You do you, and I will be me. None of us imo have the full truth of everything, more power to you :)

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Perhaps a better question may be why the LHP is considered Good and worthy for all?
As my old teacher of black magic once told me, there is regularly a Machevellian type set of hierarchies that regularly war with each other for the sport of it.
Including you.
Are you a warrior? Do you live to die over and over and over again? Is this good and worthy?
Do you look forward to brutal treatment by the demons and qlippothic sets of entities?
Or would you rather look forward to Mercy, peace, love, and kindness; where the only way will be the final war sealing shut hell, and ushering in the age of peace on a new Earth?
Not being a fundamentalist, but why, besides being a badass and getting an easy temporal life here on this disintegrating planet, is it considered Good and Worthy?
There are those who say it is the creeds of "peace and love" who have (inadvertently) made this disintegrating world. Late Jewish prophecy with its preoccupation with the weak spawned Christianity with its mania for the same. That same tradition gave rise to Marxism with its secularized version of Judgment Day (thank you Commisar Berea and the NKVD). Weber argues pretty persuasively that capitalism is the child of Protestantism. I need not belabor consumerism's environmental impact. To paraphrase one gent who took a walk down the LHP (as well as an ill-advised walk outdoors in Vienna during an air raid), the ethics advocated by the LHP were "commonsense before the French revolution."

Reaction score
Awards
Okay. Let's take Christianity off the spectrum of religion in the context of this post. Does it then make the LHP correct, or good?

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Does it then make the LHP correct, or good?
That rather depends whether Earth humanity has a cosmic functionality.

In Blavatsky's Secret Doctrine there is a reference to the Lhas (spirits) initially refusing to incarnate in human bodies - as they thought the bodies too primitive.

It seems a later human format was more acceptable

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Okay. Let's take Christianity off the spectrum of religion in the context of this post. Does it then make the LHP correct, or good?
Let's keep Christianity right where it is. No need to invent a new board game in the middle of this one.

Those who walk the LHP hold values to which the path conduces. These we call good. A number of folks would dispute the LHP's definition of good. That's what the squabble is about.

Reaction score
Awards
Let's keep Christianity right where it is. No need to invent a new board game in the middle of this one.

Those who walk the LHP hold values to which the path conduces. These we call good. A number of folks would dispute the LHP's definition of good. That's what the squabble is about.
Okay, what values?
Post automatically merged:

We should define what values the LHP, MHP and RHP follows as well. A bit of an expensive topic I would say, almost undefinable. Undefinable because it's more tailored in values or virtues to the individual, whether the values upheld are withing the individual human or individual animal. It seems to me the LHP is closer to the animal individual rather than the individual human.

Last edited: