• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Anyone find that your Religion/God messes with your magick and actively ruins your life?

HocusPocus

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I grew up Buddhist, I am not anymore. Still I pray once in a while to hedge my best in the afterlife, it seems like my Buddhist practices are actively interfering with my magick spells to improve my life i.e increase iq, etc.

I've gotten alot of good results from Gallery of Magick's books but something about Buddhism doesn't seem to like the fact that I am enjoying my life and infact now that my life is better I noticed Buddhism actually exacerbated my mental and emotional issues rather than solve it.

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
People tell me it's called "denial."
Sir, I stated that I can alter my emotions with words if I wish. I didn't say I deny them, or that I even do so often.

You don't see me over here trying to remove my lust. I encourage lust.

Xenophon

Magister
Reaction score
Awards
Sir, I stated that I can alter my emotions with words if I wish. I didn't say I deny them, or that I even do so often.

You don't see me over here trying to remove my lust. I encourage lust.
I don't call it denial either. I meant to hint that folks in these times are highly uncomfyable with any response to pain, unwelcome emotion and the like except for whinging victimhood. As such, I proposed that one is not at the mercy of his emotions. The late Robert Solomon, for all his trendy-leftie faults, wrote one hell of a book called The Passions, setting out the notion that emotions represent choices. Like most of his corpus, he nicked the idea from Sartre, but he developed it at and in enlightening length and detail. (I remain your humble servant &c &c...)

HocusPocus

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I don't call it denial either. I meant to hint that folks in these times are highly uncomfyable with any response to pain, unwelcome emotion and the like except for whinging victimhood. As such, I proposed that one is not at the mercy of his emotions. The late Robert Solomon, for all his trendy-leftie faults, wrote one hell of a book called The Passions, setting out the notion that emotions represent choices. Like most of his corpus, he nicked the idea from Sartre, but he developed it at and in enlightening length and detail. (I remain your humble servant &c &c...)

Well usually discomforting emotions are a sign something's wrong, no?

When your body cannot solve the problem or the perceived problem it starts to fight, problem is if there's no enemies or ways you start to self destruct at least in my experience.

Xenophon

Magister
Reaction score
Awards
Well usually discomforting emotions are a sign something's wrong, no?

When your body cannot solve the problem or the perceived problem it starts to fight, problem is if there's no enemies or ways you start to self destruct at least in my experience.
Solomon would agree with you. His whole point is that we have a good deal of control over our emotions. The idea was a commonplace among the ancient Stoics. Hell, the idea was commonplace on through the (so-called) European Enlightenment period. A lot of psychologists teach it today, albeit with methods and assumptions designed to weaken rather than strengthen the patient in the long run.

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I don't call it denial either. I meant to hint that folks in these times are highly uncomfyable with any response to pain, unwelcome emotion and the like except for whinging victimhood. As such, I proposed that one is not at the mercy of his emotions.
I'm autistic, I don't know what the fuck that means except that it's conservative diatribe. Bunch of overcomplicated horse shit. If they were a problem, I am not at the mercy of emotions if I wish because I have an occult capacity to command them. Much simpler that way. The rest of you may very well be victims, not autocrats like I am. I am far less a victim than you. I don't even know what a victim is.

how dare you

HocusPocus

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Solomon would agree with you. His whole point is that we have a good deal of control over our emotions. The idea was a commonplace among the ancient Stoics. Hell, the idea was commonplace on through the (so-called) European Enlightenment period. A lot of psychologists teach it today, albeit with methods and assumptions designed to weaken rather than strengthen the patient in the long run.

Think you quoted the wrong person, I am implying the opposite. We have little to no control we either find ways to solve it, or it eats at us. Don't know if Solomon or the Stoics would agree with me, I'd say I am closer to a Hedonist or the Charvakas of Ancient India.

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I DO believe in the goddess Athena, like my forefathers, the Charvakas of Ancient India.

Xenophon

Magister
Reaction score
Awards
Think you quoted the wrong person, I am implying the opposite. We have little to no control we either find ways to solve it, or it eats at us. Don't know if Solomon or the Stoics would agree with me, I'd say I am closer to a Hedonist or the Charvakas of Ancient India.
I meant he would agree that negative emotions are a sign something is amiss. He and his idol Sartre would both agree with you even that such emotions do often ambush us. They also would agree with you that we can find ways to solve matters (beside, "Cheer up!") You seem to differ with them as to degree of control. To which I only comment that we never know our degree of control till we try asserting it.
Post automatically merged:

What the fuck is an atheist
Apparently that uppity Charvaka clan across the street.

Wiley's Dictionary:
ATHEIST: someone who argues that they are the most "Athe"
As opposed to simply athier than thou?

HocusPocus

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I meant he would agree that negative emotions are a sign something is amiss. He and his idol Sartre would both agree with you even that such emotions do often ambush us. They also would agree with you that we can find ways to solve matters (beside, "Cheer up!") You seem to differ with them as to degree of control. To which I only comment that we never know our degree of control till we try asserting it.

Apparently that uppity Charvaka clan across the street.

As opposed to simply athier than thou?

Okay, was making sure I got your geist thanks for informing me.