• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Tutorial] Practical Magic

Informative post.
Reaction score
Awards
You mean I warned people about LARPing?

I sure don't remember talking about flight. Best I can do is induce a feeling of weightlessness via drawing upon element of air. My weight stays the same, much to my annoyance. 🤷
The Harry Potter thread among others.
Speaking of which, watching HP and the Scorcerers Stone now.

Kraig's elemental exercises help with grounding, ungrounding and weightlessless actually, forgot about those until your reply.
No wings unless I pay a half thousand to an airlines for a flight for myself.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
You mean I warned people about LARPing?

I sure don't remember talking about flight. Best I can do is induce a feeling of weightlessness via drawing upon element of air. My weight stays the same, much to my annoyance. 🤷
I was a fat little kid. When we had judo tournaments and got weighed, I imagined "pulling my weight up into my body and leaving my head" in order to fool the scale. Never worked and I always had to go up against bigger boys with normal bodies (who picked me up and threw me off the mat) Gravity hates Magick.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I was a fat little kid. When we had judo tournaments and got weighed, I imagined "pulling my weight up into my body and leaving my head" in order to fool the scale. Never worked and I always had to go up against bigger boys with normal bodies (who picked me up and threw me off the mat) Gravity hates Magick.
Yet we have planes, "jetpacks" and even use magnetic forces to levitate objects.

If science can do that I still have hopes for magic.I mean, it is tempting to think "but what if...?".

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
If science can do that I still have hopes for magic.I mean, it is tempting to think "but what if...?
That question is the reason I start meditating at 4 in the morning.

As cynical and grounded I can seem through my writings, I refuse that how far I have come is the depth of magick. I want to get much more powerful. This shit is starting to sound like a shonen anime opening now 😂.

Maybe I am naive and the extent of magick is placebo/nocebo, but my experience says otherwise so far.

Still, I am gonna laugh at your face if you say you can fly and I will kiss your feet if you can demonstrate you can do it without tricks.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I refuse that how far I have come is the depth of magick. I want to get much more powerful. This shit is starting to sound like a shonen anime opening now 😂.
Not at all.There are different types of "being powerful" and in your(and mine, and probably many other people) case is the drive to seek how much and how far one can go with real magic.

Despite most of us probably having a more scientific and skeptical mindset, I'm sure just as many of us still have dreams of being able to do what the magicians in folk tales, myths and general fictional stories, tend to do.It is very human to be amazed by the so called supernatural, after all in that also lays the control over nature/reality that humans have a deep desire for.

Who wouldn't want to be able to fly on a whim?To summon lightning to smite their enemies?To change the trajectory of a tornado?To control the traffic lights when you're crossing the street?

I want to be able to do that.

Rationally I know that I can't do that, but my inner child doesn't want to give up on this because in the end we don't know a lot about reality and there may be things that are outside our understanding or even perception.Just the idea of this fills me with excitement and wonder, and it gives me a very difficult(but so rewarding if actually achievable) goal in life that is beyond the mere "graduate, find a job, make money, buy a house, etc.".

Call me foolish or naive then, but despite being a skeptic for most things I do want to believe that the supernatural is actually achievable, just like in the stories of old.

Maybe I am naive and the extent of magick is placebo/nocebo
Maybe.Maybe it only goes as far as our understanding of reality goes, we can never be 100% sure of anything.But even if it is just a "placebo", know that for some people a placebo effect can actually be very useful in helping them in certain moments or with certain issues.
I'm up for anything that makes life easier or better.

Still, I am gonna laugh at your face if you say you can fly and I will kiss your feet if you can demonstrate you can do it without tricks.
Laugh all you want, I would laugh as well at anyone making wild claims too!

I can live without the kissing feet part though...nothing personal
:ROFLMAO: It's just not my style.

But yeah, I also ardently hope for the day someone will come and show that "yes, it can be done".

You can still make things happen without breaking the laws of physics :)
True, but the mere idea of being able to go against something so set in stone like the laws of physics does sound tempting, doesn't it?
Although I'll admit that being able to somehow use magic that goes along with the laws seems interesting too.
I think the closest we could get would be regarding either the four fundamental forces or something more on the lines of quantum physics.

Reaction score
Awards
Actually, if one of the laws of physics is "energy can neither be created nor destroyed", then it begs the question of what is energy, as people do create and raise energy, all the time in fact. Perhaps physics needs to be updated, just as well as magic.

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Just the idea of this fills me with excitement and wonder, and it gives me a very difficult(but so rewarding if actually achievable) goal in life that is beyond the mere "graduate, find a job, make money, buy a house, etc.".
Oh yeah, thats one reason. I base my plannings on Maslows Pyramid.

images

First four can be clearly achieved with mundane effort. Magick is just a leverage I hold. But what is self-actualization, for me? Just having a lavish lifestyle? Finding inner peace? Reaching Samadhi? Finding HGA?

Call me foolish or naive then, but despite being a skeptic for most things I do want to believe that the supernatural is actually achievable, just like in the stories of old.
Of course. Though, what is "supernatural"?

Not sure how I would accomplish that, perhaps via a burst-of-will or emitting something from eyes or a mudra ,if I made a chick "love on first sight" towards me, is that supernatural? I wouldn't think so because you don't really need any magickal means to pull that off. It is something that can happen.

What about zapping a person? Seems like this can be achieved after a certain amount of Qigong/Neigong/suitable method. Natural or not?

Turning water into wine would be supernatural. I don't think anyone will beg to differ.

Maybe.Maybe it only goes as far as our understanding of reality goes, we can never be 100% sure of anything.But even if it is just a "placebo", know that for some people a placebo effect can actually be very useful in helping them in certain moments or with certain issues.
I'm up for anything that makes life easier or better.
Same here. Just fixed a burning stomach issue with pore breathing 😉. All it took was 3 breaths. By seven breaths I am usually completely revitalized unless my mood is extremely low. This kind of stuff saved me from an immesurable amount of various kinds of hurt and pain.

But it still would be disappointing if this is the upper echelon of magick.

But yeah, I also ardently hope for the day someone will come and show that "yes, it can be done".
Yeah. Prove me wrong. Shatter my reality. I can not be more glad even if I tried if you can shatter it. Because if you prove there is more to it than what I think it is, I sure am gonna be triple-up my efforts to get there.

Reaction score
Awards
Oh yeah, thats one reason. I base my plannings on Maslows Pyramid.

images

First four can be clearly achieved with mundane effort. Magick is just a leverage I hold. But what is self-actualization, for me? Just having a lavish lifestyle? Finding inner peace? Reaching Samadhi? Finding HGA?

Of course. Though, what is "supernatural"?

Not sure how I would accomplish that, perhaps via a burst-of-will or emitting something from eyes or a mudra ,if I made a chick "love on first sight" towards me, is that supernatural? I wouldn't think so because you don't really need any magickal means to pull that off. It is something that can happen.

What about zapping a person? Seems like this can be achieved after a certain amount of Qigong/Neigong/suitable method. Natural or not?

Turning water into wine would be supernatural. I don't think anyone will beg to differ.

Same here. Just fixed a burning stomach issue with pore breathing 😉. All it took was 3 breaths. By seven breaths I am usually completely revitalized unless my mood is extremely low. This kind of stuff saved me from an immesurable amount of various kinds of hurt and pain.

But it still would be disappointing if this is the upper echelon of magick.

Yeah. Prove me wrong. Shatter my reality. I can not be more glad even if I tried if you can shatter it. Because if you prove there is more to it than what I think it is, I sure am gonna be triple-up my efforts to get there.
Question on the Maslow's pyramid as a magic model, could it be my Magick worked?
Or must everything fit into normal means plus Magick, to equal the ends?
Indirectly, the lower three means have been met, at least temporarily with my responsibility to not be lazy.
So, did my Magick then work, or is it an indicator to not focus on the bottom rings, but the top?

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Although I'll admit that being able to somehow use magic that goes along with the laws seems interesting too.
This is what my book is about; how that would work.
I think the closest we could get would be regarding either the four fundamental forces or something more on the lines of quantum physics.
As Ben Goldacre would say: "It's a bit more complicated than that"

Read my book and find out :) (As Ben Goldacre would also say :D )

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Actually, if one of the laws of physics is "energy can neither be created nor destroyed", then it begs the question of what is energy, as people do create and raise energy, all the time in fact. Perhaps physics needs to be updated, just as well as magic.
It's the model of magic that needs to be updated, or rather it has been updated already long ago and largely ignored since:

For example:

Information does not have mass or energy. Thus, it is faster than light and not bound by the restrictions of the Einsteinian spacetime continuum. It can therefore be transmitted or tapped at all times and at all places.

Magical power can be created and also destroyed, for example, it is not necessarily subject to the laws of thermodynamics the way physical energy is. In my opinion even the Information Model needs an update, one that does not rely on the phenomena of physics but more on philosophical ideas. I have some ideas but nothing concrete yet.

I think that people still cling to the energy model because it's so goddamn convenient to think along well-worn paths instead of adopting unfamiliar constructs. Like, "I have to expend energy to reach a certain goal and then 'recharge'". Does the source of magical power really behave like an electrical battery? We're used to assume that it does, but is it actually true?

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Question on the Maslow's pyramid as a magic model, could it be my Magick worked?
Dont overthink it, its simply a model for me to pick the next set of plans or rituals. Not an indicator of success. Like I said, it can be climbed with mundane means.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I base my plannings on Maslows Pyramid.
Andy Matthews (Australian comedian) has a bit where he mixes up the food pyramid with Maslow's hierarchy of needs and describes self-actualisation as "a sometimes food". This was years ago and I haven't gotten it out of my head.